FIVE ONE LABS
Please send all applications to Pat Cline at email@example.com.
Organization: Five One Labs
Position Title: Entrepreneurship Training and Community Associate
Location: Based in Sulaimani, Iraq with travel to Erbil and Duhok
Contract Dates: April 15 - September 16, 2018
Length of Contract: 5 months with possibility of extension; 40 hours/week
Application Closing Date: April 5, 2017
ABOUT FIVE ONE LABS:
Five One Labs is a start-up incubator that helps talented entrepreneurs in conflict-affected areas launch and grow their businesses in the Middle East. We aim to empower individuals to rebuild their lives and livelihoods to contribute to the economic growth of their communities. Five One Labs is currently based in Erbil, Iraq and is expanding to Sulaimani this spring.
Our vision is to develop an inclusive network of innovators and entrepreneurs that have the support, skills, and connections to build scalable businesses and positively impact their communities. Five One Labs participants are provided with intensive training in startup fundamentals, strategy, finance and marketing; mentorship by experienced entrepreneurs in the US and Middle East; and an inclusive community of creative changemakers with whom to share their experiences. Participants are welcome to apply for our full-time, three month incubation program to launch their businesses or shorter-term training programs to learn entrepreneurship fundamentals.
Five One Labs creates flexible programs that are focused on human-centered design, the core building blocks of business fundamentals, and leadership development. Our trainers are steeped in lean startup and design thinking methodology, and thus our trainings are hands-on, active, and highly practical for early-stage entrepreneurs.
For more information, please see https://fiveonelabs.org/.
ABOUT THE ENTREPRENEURSHIP TRAINING AND COMMUNITY ASSOCIATE POSITION:
Five One Labs is a newly launched social venture. Our first full incubator cohort, based in Erbil, concluded in early February 2018 with the granting of $30,000 to 3 exciting new startup businesses at our Demo Day in early February. Recently, we secured a grant to create and develop an Innovation Hub in Sulaimani, in which we will have training space for Five One Labs and our partner organization, Re:Coded, as well as a co-working space for Sulaimani entrepreneurs and businesspeople. We are running a program called “Entrepreneurship for All” to translate core modules of our curriculum into Arabic and Kurdish and run exciting, short term programs for diverse young people in Erbil and Sulaimani Governorates.
We are a fun, hardworking, and fast-moving team looking for an innovative professional to join us in April to help translate our training curriculum from English into Kurdish and Arabic, develop and manage the Innovation Hub community, and deliver trainings as necessary in all three languages.
The Five One Labs team is looking for a confident, organized, self-motivated individual with experience in the private sector and/or entrepreneurship, experience with community outreach and marketing, fluency in both Kurdish and Arabic, and the ability to deliver trainings on business concepts. This individual should be able to work within a small team, and be professional in all business interactions. Although this is a short-term contract at first, we are searching for someone that is interested in learning, growing, and potentially becoming a valued long-term contributor to the organization.
This will be a great opportunity to see the inner workings of one of Iraq’s first startup incubators!
The successful candidate will support Five One Labs to:
- Translate Five One Labs English training curriculum into Arabic and Kurdish
- Lead trainings for non-English-speaking participants in Kurdish and Arabic and assist in English trainings
- Develop and grow the Innovation Hub community, which includes working professionals and entrepreneurs, program participants, and outside groups. As necessary, the Associate should be prepared to aid in the procurement of materials and working with vendors.
- Assist in the marketing outreach for the Innovation Hub, and Five One Labs training programs in Erbil and Sulaimani
- Develop relevant marketing content, including blogs, one pagers, and email campaigns about the Innovation Hub and Five One Labs
The Entrepreneurship Training and Community Associate will work closely with Executive Director Alice Bosley and Director of Operations Patricia Letayf, and will report directly to Pat Cline, Director of Training and Business Advisory. The team will ensure that the selected candidate has access to all relevant materials and support to succeed in his or her role.
The Five One Labs team is seeking candidates with the following profile:
Skills and Knowledge
- Undergraduate degree in a related field (Business, International Relations, Education, etc.).
- Fluent in English, Kurdish, and Arabic (highly developed written and oral communication skills)
- 2+ years work experience in private sector and/or NGO roles, emphasis placed on previous experience in customer service and/or business development
- Familiarity with business fundamentals, innovation and entrepreneurship
- Solid computer skills: must be able to work effectively and accurately with Google products, Word, Excel, and email
- Outgoing, positive, and interested in developing a strong community
- Team-oriented and enthusiastic about working with and supporting others
- Attention to detail, conscientious about accuracy and professional presentation at all times
- Self-starter personality – able to initiate and lead projects or tasks with minimal supervision
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced work environment
- Experience working in multicultural teams and work environments
*Prior experience running trainings or courses a plus
The position will be based in Sulaimani, Iraq, with some travel to Erbil and Duhok. Candidates will be required to have their own laptop and wifi access, as some work will be done remotely.
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. The application period will close at 11:59pm on April 5, 2018.
Five One Labs is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds, and of either gender, to apply for this position.